The habit of coming home after a long day and watching television seems to be the household norm nowadays. We are too tired to do anything, so we sit and stare at a screen of blue light and live vicariously through scripted lives or soak in questioningly accurate knowledge about this world depending on our choice of entertainment. Little do we realize that we are further exhausting the part of us that is already tired from work. Our minds.
Think about our total energies as different batteries. We have our mental battery, emotional battery and physical battery. In order to charge up a battery, we have to be using another battery since one can’t be charged while being used.
Since we typically use our mental battery at work, we have to switch it off to charge it up. Coming home to watch television may help for about ten minutes, but it then starts to use our mental battery as we process what we are watching. This further exhausts us as our mental battery is being depleted.
So how do we charge up our mental battery? By using a different battery!
Going for a walk, practicing yoga, hitting the gym or any form of movement will help turn on the physical battery which then turns off the mental battery, allowing it to charge up.
People always focus on working out to build stamina, strength and physical health. However, the benefits of mental health are also outstanding. The simple concept of taking your focus from mind to body will help keep your energy levels high.
Start giving your brain a break and get moving. Here are some simple ways you can start tonight after getting home that only take 15 minutes:
- 15 minute walk around the block with your family or pet
- Get on your floor and just start stretching and moving. Doesn’t matter what you do, just bring attention to your body.
- Start your timer for 15 minutes and start doing a mixture of pushups, squats, jumping jacks, high knees, butt kicks, planks, etc. Don’t stop till the timer goes off.
- Take an Epsom salt bath. I know this isn’t moving but sometimes we just need to chill and take care of our body’s aches and pains.
- Find your private space to clear your mind. If you have a noisy home, use your earphones to block out the noise with binaural beats or soothing music.
Author: Cari Li
The Co-Founder of The Good Curves and Owner of CoachCariLi.com, an online Lifestyle Coaching company focused in women’s fat loss solutions. She has a huge passion for enabling women to find ways to live their happiest and healthiest life through simple lifestyle changes. Her love for travel has allowed her to gain a special perspective on life that she enjoys sharing with the many women she meets along the way as she strives to improve the lives of women everywhere.